Sunday, April 29, 2012

Västerbotten Cheese Pie

It’s time for World on a plate is a blogging cultural exchange. On the last Sunday of the month, bloggers from all over the world get together to interpret a food through the lens of their home country cooking. Each blogger will produce a wonderful dish featuring the food chosen that is typical of her/his home country and will tell us a bit about the dish. This month the theme is picnics.  There are so many items you can make using the picnic theme – Swedish Meatballs, Swedish Pancakes, or Swedish cinnamon rolls.  Those are all very delicious for a picnic.

But another common thing to eat in Sweden are savory pies, they can be eaten hot or col.  Today I have choose to make the famous Västerbotten Cheese Pie.

Västerbotten is a region in Sweden, located way up north. Västerbotten cheese is s a very strong and sharp cheese, and it has tiny holes in it. It’s sometimes described as Swedish parmesan. You can eat it as is, as a side dish at a crawfish party, or with crème fraîche, finely minced red onions and bleak roe. You can find Västerbotten cheese in a few cheese stores, sometimes IKEA carries it and you can also get it online.

Print Recipe

Västerbotten Cheese Pie

Yield: 1-9” pie

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

1pie crust

3 eggs

10 oz (300 ml) heavy cream

7 oz (200 g) grated Västerbotten cheese, or any other sharp, tasty cheese

pinch of cayenne pepper

Directions:

Make the pie crust in a 9” form but do not bake it. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Whisk together the eggs, cream, cayenne and cheese, and fill the pie shell. Bake for about 25-30 minutes until the filling is set, and lightly golden. Eat at room temperature, or cold.

Adapted from Anne Skoogh

Few other savory Tarts/Pies/Quiches:

One Year Ago: Tomato and Green Bean Salad
Two Years Ago: Carrot Cake with Coconut Frosting

Pin It

16 Responses to “Västerbotten Cheese Pie”

1. 1

PolaM — April 29, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

This pie must be delicious! I guess in Europe quiche is quite an ubiquitous picnic food! Sofie also did one!

2. 2

Biren @ Roti n Rice — April 29, 2012 @ 2:44 pm

That’s a very delicious looking cheese pie. I have tasted some of the Swedish cheese from Ikea and love them. There is a big Swedish presence here in Minnesota. 🙂

3. 3

Raymund — April 29, 2012 @ 11:57 pm

This looks so flavourful, I love the idea of this one

4. 4

Kat — April 30, 2012 @ 4:43 am

Oh wow, this looks gorgeous! I’ll check out if the IKEA here carries the cheese. Thanks!

5. 5

Katherine Martinelli — April 30, 2012 @ 5:43 am

I love the sound of that cheese – I’ve never had it before! This pie looks incredible, just perfect for a picnic 🙂

6. 6

Magic of Spice — April 30, 2012 @ 10:03 am

Delightful! Cheese is always a good thing 🙂

7. 7

carolinaheartstrings — April 30, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

This looks so rich and fantastic! Perfect lunch, brunch and everything in between!

8. 8

Suchi — May 1, 2012 @ 2:05 pm

This pie looks yum…love the flavours you have added!

9. 9

Sofie Dittmann @thegermanfoodie — May 1, 2012 @ 5:29 pm

I LOVE anything w/ cheese, and this is right up my alley. You are showing me aspects of Swedish cooking I never knew existed! YUMMMMM

10. 10

Ashley Wagner — May 3, 2012 @ 4:55 am

The Västerbotten Cheese Pie is very delicious to eat. Ehmm,I feel hungry by just looking the Västerbotten Cheese Pie. It is so yummy.

11. 11

Hyosun Ro — May 3, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

This cheese pie looks absolutely delicious! I am saving it for this weekend’s brunch. The photos are amazing as well.

12. 12

cookingrookie — May 5, 2012 @ 6:15 am

This pie is a must try!
    I think it turned out to be a poem :-).
    Love the color, and I bet I’ll love the taste too

13. 13

Chris and Amy — May 6, 2012 @ 6:02 am

Looks wonderful! We love cheese in every form, and this cheese pie is right up our alley!

14. 14

Swedish Crayfish Party for Dummies - Lexiophiles — July 18, 2012 @ 1:01 am

[…] you gain, but I’ll get to the eating part later. Usually, you eat the crayfish with pies such as Västerbotten Cheese pie, knäckebröd, schnapps and more schnapps! As every Swedish tradition the kräftskiva is […]

15. 15

Kim Bee — August 2, 2012 @ 8:06 pm

This is really lovely. The photos are fantastic.

16. 16

Lindesberg and the Snowy Day – Suzanne Visits Sweden! — March 1, 2017 @ 3:18 pm

[…] home we ate traditional Swedish cheese pie (vasterbotten), cider from Kopparberg and watched Democracy Now where we caught up on the liar and his […]